The Satanic Temple is a nontheistic religious organization with congregations around the globe. We do not believe in a literal Satan. Our conception of Satan is rather that of the literary Satan of the Romantics, a metaphor for standing up to tyranny and arbitrary authority. We perform nontheistic rituals, and we engage in a wide range of activism and community service. Some have mistaken us for an activist group only, but in fact we are a religion whose adherents hold our beliefs deeply.
- If you are interested in joining us, either as a member or an ally who supports our work, you can start by joining our TST WA Allies and Novitiates Facebook group here on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1054323648698786
THE SEVEN TENETS OF THE SATANIC TEMPLE
1. One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.
2. The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
3. One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
4. The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own.
5. Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
6. People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused.
7. Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.